Sunday, November 16, 2014

My SAHM life


Many people say being a stay at mom is being lazy and many stay at home moms will say a working mom doesn't spend enough time with kids. Both of those statements are lies. I'm sure I speak on more than half of the mothering population that running a household 24/7 is NEVER lazy and that a working moms first priority is her children.
 
I have been both. I was a mom in highschool going to school until 1:30 getting out for work release and working 2 jobs in order to get 40 hours a week. I felt as if I missed out on so much of Braxton's life so once I became pregnant with Broox I knew I wanted to be home more and spend so much time with the both of them. At that time I had to have a job working nearly 30 hours. Luckily I found a night shift job working hours from 12am-8am or 12 hour shifts like 8pm-8am and they were usually sleep shifts so I was able to rest and then carry on with the next day as if I had never went to work therefore I was able to be a working mom AND a SAHM. At that time the household definitely ran smoother Braxton was a toddler and Broox was an infant. No kids in school, no sports, we stayed busy with other activities and we were all on a strict schedule which made life go much easier. At that time I DID actually have time to NAP every single day during our designated nap time but the rest of time was spent doing other things. I can easily say being a SAHM with a toddler and baby was actually easier than working.
 
Now I only work part time two 8 hour night shifts on the weekend and the remainder of the time I am a SAHM. The household no longer rubs smoothly, our schedule runs wild and I tend to a 7 year old, 5 year old, and an infant. The oldest two are in school and are very active in sports. Their daddy works sometimes long hours and with him being the bread winner in the household I do NOT want him coming home thinking I have been lazy all day therefore I try to make sure the house is cleaned, dishes washed and supper is fixed. I also try to shower but that almost never happens until night time because that is how BUSY I try to stay. Just to give you an idea how my schedule goes...

•Mon-Fri no matter what unless it is summer or school break I'm up at 6am fixing everyone's breakfast, getting the kids ready and packing everyone's lunch.
 
•I wash diapers 2 times a week which included rinse, wash, rinse, inserts in dryer and diapers line dried, then putting them together.
 
•laundry 2-3 times a week
 
•sports practice (the sport varies) 2-3 days a week and 1 game a week. If kids are in different sports the is 2 games a week.
 
•Sat and Sun work 11-7. Every now and then I go in early and sometimes I pick up a second shift on Monday or Wednesday.
 
•Plenty of Saturdays I have got off work and not been able to sleep until later in the day (a thank you to kids & thank you sports)
 
•Daily I cook and tidy the house, nurse an infant on demand, make the beds. On school days I rarely even find myself having a lot of relaxation time during those 7 hours. Although my one hour of nothing is spent watching my favorite show The Young & The Restless!

Now this is just a jist of what I do and doesn't even include everything extra that comes up daily. We should support moms no matter if they are home or at work. Some moms want to and can afford to be home, some want to be home and can't afford it, others would go insane being home everyday and well for me I'm just thankful I'm able to work part time but majority of my time is spent at home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment