Sunday, September 28, 2014

Placenta Art

I knew before I gave birth that I wanted to keep my placenta and make a piece of art with it so I was sure to include in my birthing plan to not throw it away. Needless to say with a newborn (now an infant) and 2 other kids in school and sports the last thing on my mind was making something. This is gross but it has just been sitting in my fridge since after I gave birth. I didn't have room for it in the freezer with my enormous milk stash so that's where I left it. Finally today I got it out and came up with an idea so I could use it and throw it out. I got out a gift box spray painted it gold. While that was drying I got out the placenta, praying it wasn't molded and was still usable, luckily it was and used an old towel to absorb the blood. I used brown paint to cover the placenta and done a trial round first then put it on the gold. After that I put my sons hand and footprint on it in light blue. This may be gross to some people but I wish I would have done this with my first two and I think it is an awesome and beautiful keepsake.

After I made that I decided I would attempt to make an umbilical keepsake. I got on google and searched umbillical keepsake and I found instructions on how to dehydrate it. I cut it at the bottom, squeezed out all the blood/clots. Again, mine looks different as it has been sitting for quite a while but I laid it in a heart shape and popped into the oven, put oven on the lowest temp setting and cooked for 6 hours.

Afterwards I took it out and came up with a cute picture idea and got a beautiful shot with baby and cord.



No comments:

Post a Comment