Monday, September 1, 2014

How I overcame mastitis

I've talked about the clogged ducts which were awful but not anywhere near mastitis. My mastitis came up shortly after the clogged duct which was the same time I was dealing with over supply. I had an oversupply with my second son but still not near as much as with Berran. On a Friday my left breast began feeling like a bruise. It wasn't red yet just really tender, couldn't move on that side at all without it hurting. Luckily my step mom had taken the two older boys that weekend and I was still on maternity leave so I was able to get plenty of rest. By that night I had body chills, aches and a fever. I was taking ibuprofen every 6 hours. I contacted my breastfeeding peer counselor Saturday morning as I was still in pain and running a temperature. She told me to continue the ibuprofren, nursing from that side, drinking water, resting  and go to the doctor as soon as I could. It was a weekend so I was going to have to wait until Monday. All day Saturday Bear and I spent the entire day in the bed. I was nursing him from my left side every 3 hours and pumping the right side. At this point my breast was red and feeling hot so I began doing hot compress before feeding and cold compress after. I definitely was not feeling any better. I began nursing him in every position I could think of, anything to clear the lump out. I continued doing those things throughout the rest of the day and night. Sunday I was feeling a little better. I was able to get out of bed and complete some light house work but soon enough I was down again. I could not wait until Monday morning to get some antibiotics but until then I continued doing what I had been doing. He woke up for his 3am feeding and I felt wonderful but I thought it was probably just the ibuprofen making me feel better. Woke up Monday still feeling good. Skipped out on the doctor and felt so accomplished because I had overcame it without antibiotics! I was very lucky that it did not turn into full blown mastitis. 

If you begin feeling mastitis symptoms you should:
•nurse from the effected side first and every feeding.
•stay in the bed you need plenty of rest.
•keep plenty of drinking water near by you must stay hydrated.
•hot compress before a feeding and cold compress after.
•massage your boob.
•nurse baby with his/her nose in the direction of the lump.
•if that doesn't work try switching nursing positions.

*I am not a doctor and this is just information I was given to help relieve the pain and symptoms of mastitis. If you think you have an infection or the pain persists after trying every home remedy you can then seek help from a doctor,*

No comments:

Post a Comment