Monday, August 25, 2014

Make the most of right now

I work with elderly people in an assisted living environment. I've always enjoyed looking at the old photos. They are beautiful and different from today's. I admire the black and white, sepia, hair styles, fashion, and almost all the women and men have pictures of themselves or their husbands from when they were in the army, navy or marines. I see pictures of how their lives were then and their children were still small. Then I see new pictures of their now grown kids who have children and grand children of their own. 
Over the weekend I really got to thinking about how fast time flies, how my oldest is almost 7 years old and how much I've taken for granted. Today's day and age is all about rushing, running late, doing this and that last minute, letting gadgets entertain our children while our gadgets entertain us. Looking at those pictures and the people here made me realize that one day that will be me, old and frail, my kids will be grown and I'll be reflecting on the best times of my life.
I need to take more time out and really enjoy it with my boys. Get down in the floor and play with them. I need to stop googling every little thing and wait until I've really enjoyed some time with my boys to browse the net and fool with my phone. Life goes by too fast and it's too short to not enjoy the moment and live for today. 
I'm not saying that I don't spend time with my kids but it's like we are so busy that my full attention is never really on them. With that said I think I'm going to attempt to have something special to do with them after school 30 minutes to an hour every day where none of us are on any high tech gadgets or watching tv and then a few times a month camp out in the living room and enjoy a movie and some popcorn. It's the special things we as parents do that a child cherishes forever and it's those moments us parents will keep close to our hearts as we grow old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment