Wednesday, February 11, 2015

How chores helped my children


Before chores everytime we went to ANY store the kids always requested something. They didn't care if it was a rinky dinky toy that would fall a part in a few days. It could be a toy they didn't really want. It could be candy, a soft drink, a happy meal but it would always be something. If we rode past a yardsale and they could clearly see toys in the yard they would want to stop and have a peek. On the bright side at least I'm raising some crunchy kids who will enjoy used toys but that's besides the fact. They didn't under stand the value of a dollar or working for your money.

One night while at work I thought about making a chore chart. I made one up and copied weekly sheets. I didn't expect a whole lot from them but I knew I could come up with some small chores. I decided on brushing teeth (Broox likes to have me brush them for him), folding towels and rags, putting clothes in the hamper, helping dad gather laundry for laundry day, setting the table, putting dishes in the sink and picking up toys. Unfortunately some days we don't have laundry, we don't have to gather laundry up and when Berrac isn't home we don't always eat at the table but I don't hold that agaisnt them. Instead of an X on the chart I draw a line to let me know they didn't have that option for the day. 

Now once we started this they done an awesome job. They still do good but now I have to remind them and when they slack it's more than likely my fault. They get paid twice a month $5 every 2 weeks. I know it's not much, but to them they are so excited to know they have their own money. They do have the option to make more if they do stuff outside of what's on the chore chart.

It has really surprised me how well they have done and how their actions have changed A LOT. My once 'begging for toys' children no longer ask for something everytime they are out. If they don't have money they don't ask. If they ask anything at all it is them wanting to know when they get paid again. Some how it has even managed to get them getting along better and being more respectful to me and their father. I'm not sure how chores could make that big of an impact but since I've started the chart those are a few of the main things I have noticed.

Last month both the kids bought their own video games after saving their chore money in a container for 2 months. Broox was 10 dollars short so he agreed to forfeit receiving money this month while still doing his chores. For a 5 and 7 year old, ESPECIALLY a 5 year old to have money and save it, it's a really big deal. I was so proud of them. 

Unfortunately I've been slacking a tad on reminding them about chores but I told them no more slacking if they want to get paid they have to do the work. I truely believe they are now gaining a better understanding of the value of money and working for what you have. They make me so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment